Saturday, December 09, 2006

Merry Christmas from Germany

We are on our first “real” family vacation!! I say “real” because until now we have only been to see family during time off. Not that we don’t love to visit family but it’s been a blast to spend time together in Germany.

We flew into Munich Wednesday night. Munich’s airport was so efficient. We stepped off the plane and down the stairs and our luggage was already out. It was amazing. Then we went out to get a taxi and the Mercedes Taxi had built in car seats! Wow! I was so impressed.

So after safely arriving at our festively decorated hotel (It’s so cute, the perfect mix of crafty Christmas and German ), we ventured to the local convenience store for milk and a late night treat. The convenience store was a treat itself being right next to us and open and packed with everything you need. ( It was just like a 7-11 but clean) I just reread this and thought it was kind of funny – I have to explain a couple of things, first, in Spain nothing is convenient, everything has weird hours and its hard to find anything that’s easy to take with you, they want you to eat it there. So I’m so grateful for simple things like convenient stores and to go food or any kind of fast food!!

The next morning we got up early and ate the yummy German breakfast provided by our hotel. Then off to the train station to get down town and see the Christmas Markets. At the train station we realized that maybe it would have been a good idea to buy a guide book or a German dictionary before our trip since we don’t know a word of German, but oh well.

The Christmas Markets are amazing. This was the whole reason we chose Germany. I went to a travel agency to book a Disney Paris vacation and they told me about Germany. I love Christmas so hearing that the country sets up special markets in all the towns was enough to convince me to go. I love Germany.

The markets are really cute and fun and sell everything ornaments, bratwurst, chocolate, spinning candle things, everything Christmassy. Besides shopping we decided to visit a few other places. We went to a toy museum, did a bus tour of the city, and visited Schloss Nymphenburg, The Residenz, Olympiagelande and Marienplatz.

Today we went to The Duetsches Musuem. It was a lot of fun. Like our guide book says it’s a good mix of Disneyland and a Smithsonian. It was huge so we chose a few areas to explore. Mainly we spent a lot of time in the kids museum (a really cool interactive floor for kids and parents) and the Air and Space floor with all the airplanes and helicopters. It was a big hit with the kids.

We’ve had some much fun and I have internet! (I promise to write on the blog at least once a week as soon as I get internet – this could be a while. Sorry) I hope everyone is doing great!! By the way, I need your address if you are reading this and want a Christmas card. Merry Christmas!! We love you…

3 comments:

Corinne said...

I love this post and I love Germany too! Such friendly people. So great to hear how you're doing!

Debbie said...

your family is adorable! i am so jealous of all the things you guys get to do.

and i would love a christmas card.

Anonymous said...

Great to see your pictures in Germany. The kids look like they were enjoying their trip. Sounds like a wonderful place to visit also. Have fun and we will talk to you later. Mom (Karen)